Fred is a old and wise LMS Fowler 4F.
Fred is the only proper freight engine that has lived at the sheds for the time being. He is a kind hearted, forgiving and very thoughtful locomotive. Fred is also the oldest and wisest engine, others always seek advice and guidance from him. He is always happy to help and his wise words have often lead the other engines down the right path. Being the only freight engine at the sheds he takes his work very seriously. He is a professional in his line of work and Robin found out how difficult it is to control wagon's if you have no idea how to handle freight trains.
- His face is based off that of Neville, an SR Q1 featured in the Thomas and Friends TV series.
- The engine carrying his number, 43924, is currently preserved at Keighley & Worth Valley Railway.
- The last of Fred's brothers were withdrawn in December 1966, making them the final pre-Stanier LMS 0-6-0 goods engines to be withdrawn from service.
- Several 4Fs were given yellow warning stripes on their cab-sides to notify crews based in the midlands that these particular engines were banned from running under the wires south of Crewe due to the line south of there being electrified by overhead wires.
- Four 4Fs are preserved today, some of them basking in the glory of touring privately-owned heritage railways all over England.
- Due to his age and the setting being only 60s, it is likely he is a midland railway 4f